Board Activities and Meetings
BGRC Attendees: Chris Disspain, Bertrand de La Chapelle, Erika Mann, Gonzalo Navarro – Chair, George Sadowsky and Kuo-Wei Wu
Other Board Attendees: Sébastien Bachollet, Bill Graham, and Suzanne Woolf
Invited Attendee: Fadi Chehadé
Staff Attendees: Akram Atallah – Chief Operating Officer, John Jeffrey – General Counsel and Secretary; Rodrigo de la Parra, Samantha Eisner, Elise Gerich, Jamie Hedlund, Nigel Hickson, Xiaodong Lee, David Olive, Diane Schroeder and Amy Stathos
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- Minutes of the Prior Meeting – The BGRC approved the minutes of its March 2012 meeting.
- Internationalization Survey – The BGRC discussed how to proceed after review of the survey results, noting that the community has indicated its willingness to participate in this process. The BGRC discussed the import of sharing the results, while noting that the results have to be presented along with discussion of the broader challenges and ICANN landscape. The BGRC noted that this work would feed into the ICANN strategic plan. The BGRC also discussed ICANN's engagements with different international organizations, and the need to coordinate participation.
- Staff to draft a document for discussion at the September workshop of the Board, regarding proposals for the internationalization strategy.
- Sub-group of BGRC members to provide recommendations for ICANN engagement with international organizations.
- Review of Upcoming International Meetings of Relevance – Staff provided an update on the preparations for upcoming international meetings, including the WCIT.
- Any other business – The BGRC had a brief discussion regarding Internet standards and the potential for international organizations and governments to take interest in the standards-development processes.