Board Activities and Meetings
BFC Attendees: Maarten Botterman, Ron da Silva (Chair), Danko Jevtovic, Tripti Sinha
BFC Apologies: Khaled Koubaa
Other Board Member Attendees: Becky Burr, Chris Disspain, Avri Doria, and Lito Ibarra
ICANN Org Attendees: Susanna Bennett (SVP, Chief Operating Officer), Michelle Bright (Board Content Coordination Director) Xavier Calvez (SVP, Chief Financial Officer), Franco Carrasco (Board Operations Specialist), Aaron Jimenez (Board Operations Sr. Coordinator), Becky Nash (VP Finance), Vinciane Koenigsfeld (Director, Board Operations), Elizabeth Le (Associate General Counsel), and Amy Stathos (Deputy General Counsel)
The following is a summary of discussions, actions taken and actions identified:
- BFC Workplan – The BFC reviewed its Workplan, which is on target.
- Draft FY20 Operating Plan & Budget (OP&B) Public Comments - The BFC received a briefing on the public comments process for the FY20 OP&B. The Public Comment window was open from 54 days from 17 December 2018 –8 February 2019. It is anticipated that the staff report on the public comment period will be published on or about 19 March 2019. ICANN org reported that thus far there is a high of engagement and involvement from the community. One hundred forty three comments were received spanning across 24 different categories. The largest categories that received public comments were financial management, budget development process, document structure and content, and community support and funding. Other areas that received comments were large projects/initiatives, the Reserve Fund, policy development, ICANN org headcount, overall funding, and community outreach and engagement programs. Based upon the comments received, ICANN org does not anticipate any changes to the draft FY20 OP&B that was published for public comment. ICANN org will conduct an open session during ICANN 64 to consult with the community on their comments to the public comments that were received. Additionally, there will be outreach efforts to the Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees for their feedback on the public comments received. The BFC received an update on next steps for the FY20 OP&B following the community outreach sessions in Kobe during ICANN64.
- FY21-25 Operating and Financial Plan Discussion – ICANN org presented on the approach for the FY21-25 Operating & Financial. The process will begin with by identifying the strategic and driving initiatives that are likely to impact the work of the organization, the Board, and the community through the five year period and translating that into change that could, therefore, impact the org during that five year process. The process will also include developing projections of funding and expenses. The funding projections will begin with a market study to better understand the market drivers over the five year period. The expenses projections will be based upon what the organization is currently doing to serve its Mission and what will the strategic initiatives change what the organization is current doing. It is anticipated that the process will be developed in two phases, beginning with a public comment period on the funding assumptions, the strategic initiatives that are anticipated to impact the org's activities over the next five years, and the structure of the operating plan. It is anticipated that the first public comment period will take place in June to July 2019. Based upon community feedback, the drivers of the FY21-25 Operating and Financial Plan will be recalibrated, as appropriate, and a draft plan will be published for community feedback through a second public comment period. It is anticipated that the second public comment period will take place in December 2019 to February 2020.
- Two Year Planning Process -– The BFC discussed two year planning process, which is being conducted in two steps. The first step is a consultation paper that raises questions on a number of topics with the intent to collect community input and views on ICANN org's planning process in order to get a common understanding if a 2-year planning cycle is truly required. This consultation paper was published for public comment from 21 December 2018 to 5 March 2019. Based upon the feedback received, the second step would be to develop a second consultation paper that would address the needs of the organization as to whether as two year planning cycle is required and what that process would look like.
- New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Round – The BFC was presented with an overview of the planning activities for the next gTLD round and the financial aspects of the program.
Published on 26 March 2019
Published on 30 May 2019