Implementation of the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Improvements process requires the amendment of a substantial number of the ICANN Bylaws to reflect new GNSO structures, processes and mechanisms.
Today, a packaged set of draft Bylaws and additional Staff recommendations (Version 2) is being posted for Public review and comment so that the ICANN Board can move forward with Bylaw amendments as soon as practicable.
Approving the Bylaws amendments is a key step toward seating a newly structured GNSO Council at the ICANN meeting in Seoul, Korea this coming October as directed by the ICANN Board.
Background and Explanation:
An initial set of Bylaws amendments (Version 1) was posted for public comment on 30 June 2009, reflecting the work product of a GNSO Council Restructure Drafting Team (consisting of the entire GNSO Council and additional GNSO community members), and additional Staff recommendations. The Bylaw Amendments-Version 2 being posted today for public comment [PDF, 256K] are based upon the 30 June 2009 initial version, and include additional amendments that reflect guidance received from the Board's Structural Improvements Committee (SIC), and from the Board at its July meeting. In addition, Staff proposes additional amendments to enable the Bylaws to be internally consistent, and to conform to the principles of the GNSO Restructuring Report approved by the Board.
In June 2008, the Board of Directors endorsed a series of recommendations on how to improve the GNSO's structures and operations. For the past year the community has been engaged in substantial discussions regarding various components of the recommendations including development of a new Policy development process, creation of a new Working Group Model for policy development, the restructuring of the GNSO Council and a variety of other process and mechanism changes designed to increase participation in the GNSO's work efforts.
Relevant Board Resolution, Bylaws and Constituency Submissions:
- GNSO Improvements Information Page - http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/
- GNSO Improvements Report adopted by ICANN's Board (3 February 2008): http://www.icann.org/topics/gnso-improvements/gnso-improvements-report-03feb08.pdf
- Report To ICANN Board From Working Group on GNSO Council Restructuring (WG-GCR Report), 25 July 2008: http://www.icann.org/en/topics/gnso-improvements/gnso-council-restructuring-report-25jul08.pdf
- Minutes of the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 28 August 2008: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-28aug08.htm
- Minutes of the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 1 October 2008; http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-01oct08.htm
- Preliminary Report from the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 11 December 2008; http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-2-11dec08.htm
- Minutes of the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 23 April 2009; http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-23apr09.htm
- Minutes of the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 21 May 2009; http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/minutes-21may09.htm
- Resolution of the Regular Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 26 June 2009: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-26jun09.htm#2
- Preliminary Report of the Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors, 30 July 2009: http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/prelim-report-30jul09.htm
The Process from Here:
At the end of this Public Comment Forum period, ICANN Staff will review the comments submitted regarding Version 2, and revise the Bylaws as appropriate. ICANN Staff expects to present this revised set of Bylaws Amendments to the Board for approval at its next meeting (27 August 2009), to allow the new GNSO Council to be seated by Seoul.
It should be noted that the GNSO Improvements Report approved by the Board in June 2008 has additional guidelines and recommendations for the ongoing practices and processes of GNSO constituencies. It is expected that this work -- particularly with respect to a new Policy Development Process, creation of a new Working Group Model and development of a new set of GNSO Council Operation Rules and Procedures - will be ongoing as part of the GNSO Improvements implementation efforts. As a result, additional Bylaws Amendments will be necessary to implement the outcome of these GNSO work teams.
Deadline and How to Submit Comments:
The Staff is opening a 21-day public consultation forum, from 3 August 2009 through 24 August 2009, and invites community comments on this matter. The formal Public Comment Forum Box is located here: http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/public-comment-200908.html#gnso-restructure.