Today, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) opened a one-month nomination period for the Dr. Tarek Kamel Award for Capacity Building.
ICANN introduced the Dr. Tarek Kamel Award for Capacity Building in January 2020 to recognize ICANN community members for significant efforts in developing capacity in areas related to ICANN's mission. The award was established in honor of the late Dr. Tarek Kamel, an Internet pioneer known for his contributions to global Internet governance. At the time of his passing, Kamel was ICANN's Senior Advisor to the President and Senior Vice President for Government and Intergovernmental Organization Engagement.
The annual award is awarded to one individual during ICANN's Annual General Meeting (AGM). The ideal recipient will have at least five years of:
- Significant contributions to national, regional, or global capacity-development programs related to ICANN's mission.
- Developing capacity-building programs that positively influenced the multistakeholder model and diversified participation at ICANN.
- All nominations must include detailed information and documentation to demonstrate the nominee's fulfilment of the award criteria.
- Any ICANN community member or ICANN community group (e.g., Supporting Organization (SO), Advisory Committee (AC), or a SO/AC constituent group) may submit a nomination.
- All nominations must be submitted via the nomination form.
- Self-nominations are not allowed.
The ICANN Board will evaluate a shortlist of candidates. Please submit nominations via this nomination form by 25 July 2022 23:59 UTC. Any additional information in support of nominations or questions about the award process may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year's award recipient will be announced in September 2022 at ICANN75. For more information, please refer to the Dr. Tarek Kamel Award for Capacity Building webpage.