Read the report [PDF, 358K]
As one of a number of initiatives aimed at further improvements in accountability and transparency, ICANN engaged One World Trust (http://www.oneworldtrust.org) to undertake an independent review of standards of accountability and transparency within ICANN. The terms of reference for the report were designed to allow a wide ranging review.
The report says that overall ICANN is a very transparent organisation, noting that it shares a large quantity of information through its website, probably more than any other global organisation. The report also identifies areas for improvement. In addition to the report, ICANN also posts today, the next steps in the development of a set of Management Operating Principles for accountability and transparency.
ICANN welcomes comment and feedback on the report. The public may email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. The comment period will close on April 27, ahead of ICANN's 29th International Public Meeting, which will be held 25-29 June in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
ICANN will also receive comments on its blog at http://blog.icann.org/
ICANN will develop a draft set of Management Operating Principles. The major steps in the process are as follows:
- Consultation with the community on the One World Trust report through the online comment forum (forum closes April 27)
- Preparation of draft Principles based on material contained in the One World Trust report and community comment
- Formal response to the One World Trust report, including an action plan for addressing key recommendations (early May)
- Draft Principles released for consultation (Mid May)
- Consultation through an online comment forum and in sessions at the Puerto Rico meeting
- Posting of revised documents after the Puerto Rico meeting
- Submission to Board for consideration
ICANN welcomes comment and feedback on the report: