Call for Volunteers for the Second Security, Stability, and Resiliency of the DNS (SSR2) Review Team
In addition to the U.N. six languages, this content is also available in
DEADLINE EXTENDED – Applications due on 15 September 2016. NOW CLOSED.
As part of its existing Affirmation of Commitments (AoC) requirements, ICANN is seeking volunteers to serve on the Second Security, Stability, and Resiliency of the DNS Review Team (SSR2-RT). Candidates are asked to submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 September 2016, 23:59 UTC.
Materials to Submit
Interested individuals are invited to provide the following (see “How to Apply for the Position of Volunteer Review Team Member” for further information on the required materials):
- Letter of motivation
- Statement of Interest
- Specify the Supporting Organization or Advisory Committee with which you are affiliated, or apply as an independent expert
Transition to New Bylaws
ICANN has recently adopted new Bylaws that are not yet effective that introduce new selection processes for AoC review teams. Accordingly, this Call for Volunteers, as well as the timelines described below, may be updated by ICANN during this application period to reflect these new procedures, if and when they become effective. This announcement will be updated to reflect any new procedures affecting this Call for Volunteers.
Community-led reviews are an important mechanism for furthering ICANN's key objectives:
- Ensuring accountability, transparency and the interests of global Internet users;
- Preserving security, stability and resiliency of the DNS;
- Promoting competition, consumer trust and consumer choice;
- WHOIS policy.
The first Security, Stability & Resiliency of the DNS Review Team, which was convened under the Affirmation of Commitments, delivered its final report [PDF, 1.16 MB] on 20 June 2012 and the report was accepted by the Board on 18 October 2012 for implementation.
Call for Volunteers to Submit Applications
This call seeks individuals interested in serving as a Volunteer Review Team Member on the SSR2-RT. Applicants need to indicate whether they are applying to be considered as a representative of a Supporting Organization (SO) or Advisory Committee (AC) or wish to be considered as an Independent Expert.
The composition of the Review Team ideally will be balanced for diversity and skill, as determined by the applicable processes at the time the selection is made.
Call for volunteers published
30 June 2016
Deadline to apply for Review Team - EXTENDED
15 September 2016
Publication of Applicants
30 September 2016
Review Team selected and announced
1st Review Team meeting
Estimate for Final Report to be issued
Applicants will be asked to devote substantial time to the review process.
Review Team work is expected to include regular conference calls up to four (4) hours per week, some of which may not be held during business hours in all time zones; and multiple two- to three-day face-to-face meetings scheduled throughout the review period at locations to be determined. Review Team members will be expected to spend additional personal time in reviewing material, gathering data, preparing analysis, and drafting reports.
SSR2 Review Team members and Independent Experts who volunteer to be on the Review Team will not be remunerated. Eligible Review Team members will receive a per diem to cover travel, meal and lodging costs to participate in Review Team meetings in accordance with ICANN's community travel support guidelines.
- Participate in creation of review team governance documents, such as the terms of reference, scope of the review and the timeline;
- Review implementation of the first SSR Review Team's recommendations as approved by the ICANN Board;
- Select appropriate performance indicators and benchmarks, including considering those recommended [PDF, 1.16 MB] by the first SSR Review Team, and those on which data has already been collected;
- Apply best practices designed to simplify and increase the effectiveness of Reviews as expressed in Reviews Policies, Procedures and Guidelines1 ;
- Consider public, community and Board input and incorporate it as appropriate in Review Team recommendations;
- Determine whether additional data or analysis is needed and participate in an ensuing provider selection, if necessary;
- Provide timely updates to the community on the status of the Review Team's work;
- Analyze findings;
- Draw conclusions based on findings, develop useful and feasible recommendations;
- Provide guidance on prioritization of recommendations and definition of desired outcomes;
- Provide draft conclusions for input from community, staff and Board;
- Deliver a final Review Team report;
- Designate Review Team members to participate in the implementation planning work that follows the delivery of the final Review Team report.
Skills and Experience
To compose a well-balanced Review Team, ICANN seeks members who, in the aggregate, possess the following skills and experience:
- Internet Unique Identifiers, including; DNS (Domain Name System), IP Numbering, AS Numbers, and Protocol Parameters
- Mitigating Unique Identifier abuse
- Registry and Registration security and abuse
- Operation of the DNS root name system
- Understanding of malware and abuse vectors and mitigations
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Corporate Data Security and/or Business Systems
- Incident Response
Composition of the Review Team, depending on skills required, will aim to achieve:
- Diversity in general, with particular attention on:
- Geographic diversity; and
- Gender diversity.
Applicants should possess the following professional and personal attributes:
- Multistakeholder community understanding
- Team spirit, adaptability, consensus-seeking attitude
- Willingness to learn
- Readiness to contribute
- Capacity to reason objectively, putting aside personal opinions or preconceptions
- Analytical skills
Methodology, Budget & Support
The methodology for conducting this review is to be determined by the Review Team in accordance with standards, good practices used to conduct performance assessments and other relevant community procedures that will guide the work.
ICANN will provide the Review Team with the review budget and related financial assumptions at the start. Throughout the review, there will be periodic reporting on the progress relative to planned schedule and allocated budget.
ICANN staff support will be made available to the Review Team. Support includes assistance with project management, organization of work, documents and activities, as well as sharing of tools and best practices for conducting an effective review.
Independent (Subject Matter) Experts may be solicited following ICANN procurement processes to support the work of the Review Team upon request, and bounded by the applicable budget.
English is the working language of the Review Team. Key communications and documents will be translated in accordance with the ICANN Language Services policies.
How to Apply for the Position of Volunteer Review Team Member
Interested individuals are invited to provide the following:
- A resume (maximum three pages), detailing relevant work and/or academic experience, as well as subject matter knowledge;
- A letter of motivation detailing your interest in serving on the Review Team and what you will bring to the team. Please include any experience participating in previous ICANN reviews;
- A Statement of Interest [DOCX, 19 KB];
- Specify the Supporting Organization or Advisory Committee with which you are affiliated.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com.
The list of all candidates and their applications materials are published at https://community.icann.org/display/SSR/Applications+received.
The deadline to submit applications is 15 September 2016 at 23:59 UTC.
- SSR2 Call for Volunteers presentation [PDF, 968 KB]
- Draft Conflict of Interest [DOC, 48 KB]
- Revised announcement extending the date to submit applications to 15 September 2016
If you have any questions, please send an email to SSR2-Questions@icann.org