LOS ANGELES -
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) organization (org) is extending the deadline to submit expressions of interest for the Chair and Chair-Elect of the 2022 Nominating Committee (NomCom), previously announced here, to 7 July 2021.
The NomCom Chair is responsible for organizing the NomCom in its activities to select certain ICANN Board members and individuals who will serve in key leadership positions within ICANN's Supporting Organizations (SOs) and Advisory Committees (ACs) in accordance with ICANN's Bylaws. The Chair is a non-voting member of the NomCom selected by ICANN's Board to serve until the conclusion of the next ICANN Annual Meeting.
The Chair-Elect, a position created as a result of an independent review of the NomCom, is not intended to fill an advisory role. Rather, the Chair-Elect will receive the benefit of training while serving alongside the Chair, gaining skills and knowledge to be applied for the Chair-Elect's anticipated succession into the role of the Chair.
Candidates for Chair-Elect should possess the same skills as candidates for the Chair, and recent experience on the NomCom for both positions is highly desirable.
In September 2020, the ICANN Board appointed Ole Jacobsen as the 2021 NomCom Chair and Tracy Hackshaw as the 2021 NomCom Chair-Elect.
Article 8, section 8.3(d) of the Bylaws states, "It is anticipated that upon the conclusion of the term of the Chair-Elect, the Chair-Elect will be appointed by the Board to the position of Chair." While it is anticipated that the 2021 NomCom Chair-Elect will become the 2022 NomCom Chair, the NomCom will evaluate the performance of the current NomCom leadership to continuously improve its accountability and transparency. The results of that evaluation will be available to the Board Governance Committee (BGC) before it makes a recommendation to the full Board on the 2022 NomCom leadership. These reviews will be conducted by an independent third-party provider and will consist of interviewing other NomCom leadership, NomCom members, and designated NomCom staff. The BGC will use the outcomes of these reviews in their processes leading up to the Board's formal appointment of the 2022 NomCom Chair and Chair-Elect.
The Chair position blends time management and negotiation skills with the practical aspects of conducting a worldwide search for individuals to fill various ICANN leadership positions. The NomCom Chair will be called on to schedule, organize, and lead numerous in-person and telephonic meetings with a large committee of community members. The NomCom Chair is also responsible for managing the candidate identification and statement of interest process with other committee members, and for managing the due diligence to be performed on nominated candidates, in cooperation with ICANN's General Counsel and any retained outside firms. Throughout all NomCom activities, the Chair is responsible for ensuring that all NomCom operating rules and procedures are followed, and that all required documentation and reports are prepared in a timely fashion and provided to the proper parties as necessary.
Skills and Experience
To properly serve as the NomCom Chair and Chair-Elect, the selected individual must have:
- Adequate time available to undertake the role
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills to manage a committee of 20-21 members
- A clear understanding of the duties and responsibilities of each position for which the NomCom is selecting candidates; recent experience with on the NomCom is highly desirable
- Experience on or with a Board of Directors of organizations with similar scale, scope, and diversity as ICANN
- Strong organization and leadership skills
- Ability to remain unbiased
- No conflicts of interest
- A thorough understanding of, and ability to satisfy, all criteria set forth in the ICANN Bylaws relating to the NomCom
For more information see here.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and schedules NomCom meetings as required, including ensuring posting schedules for public review
- Appoints a non-voting Associate Chair, if so desired
- Reports to the ICANN Board and the community on the status of the NomCom
- Prepares and publishes the NomCom report
- Ensures that NomCom operating rules and procedures are followed
- Manages the NomCom selection process, including:
- Approves outreach and advertising methods for attracting candidates
- Conducts outreach with ICANN Stakeholder groups, Constituencies, ACs, and SOs (with Chairs of those groups), ICANN Board, and others
- With other committee members, reviews and evaluates candidate Statements of Interest (SOIs) and references submitted during the NomCom process
- Coordinates due diligence on nominated candidates in cooperation with ICANN org General Counsel's office and any outside firms retained to perform due diligence activities
- Approves the posting of NomCom announcements and schedules on ICANN org's website
- Ensures NomCom records are properly established, maintained, and archived
No person who is an employee of or is a paid consultant to ICANN org (including the Ombudsman) shall simultaneously serve as a member of the NomCom, including the post of the Chair or Chair-Elect.
All reasonable travel expenses and administrative costs incurred as a result of performing the duties as the NomCom Chair or Chair-Elect, in accordance with ICANN org's policies, will be reimbursed by ICANN org upon the Chair or Chair-Elect's submission to ICANN org of valid receipts and invoices.
Expressions of Interest
Expressions of Interest, which will be maintained as confidential, should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 7 July 2021. A suggested form for submitting an Expression of Interest is available here.
For more information about the NomCom see here.