The draft Implementation Plan for Improving Institutional Confidence [PDF, 332K] has been produced by the President's Strategy Committee. The draft document builds on extensive research, analysis, deliberation and consultation with the global Internet community.
The draft Implementation Plan will be submitted to ICANN's Board of Directors for information, and will be discussed by the ICANN community at a workshop during this week's Mexico City meeting. A further online public consultation will begin shortly, and the Board will examine the recommendations and plan to make a decision on final implementation at the Sydney meeting in June, 2009.
Following two public comment periods, public sessions at the Paris and Cairo ICANN meetings, and a further five regional consultations in Montevideo, Christchurch, Geneva, Washington DC and Dakar, the Implementation Plan contains 18 detailed recommendations and accompanying materials that respond to community requests for more detailed information about internationalization.
The recommendations include:
- To maintain ICANN's headquarters in the United States
- To review whether an additional legal presence outside the United States would be advantageous to the organization
- To strengthen government involvement in ICANN and work with the Governmental Advisory Committee to facilitate effective consideration of its advice
- To improve the summary and analysis of public comments
- To set up a committee of independent experts to propose further Board accountability mechanisms
The draft Implementation Plan will be publicly discussed at a workshop and public forums during the ICANN meeting in Mexico City (1-6 March 2009). It will be the subject of a further online public consultation after the Mexico City meeting.
Full documentation and draft recommendations are published at: http://www.icann.org/en/jpa/iic/index.htm
About the PSC:
The PSC's role is to give advice to the President and the Board on strategic issues facing ICANN. Since 2006, the PSC's focus has been on ICANN's legal status and identity, and regional presence.
The Improving Institutional Confidence consultation: http://www.icann.org/en/jpa/iic/index.htm
Public meeting on the Implementation Plan: http://mex.icann.org/node/2809
The President's Strategy Committee homepages: http://www.icann.org/en/psc/